I have a confession to make

Quidnam Press Forums Secular Inclusive Classical (SIC) Forum I have a confession to make

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mellifera
    Participant

I have done zero–zip, zilch, nada–history with my younger two kids this year. :0 I’m gearing up for ancients. I have the text and audio for SOTW. I had the activity guide at one point but bought it used and there were pages missing and I recycled it. I had history pockets, but I bought it used and guess what? Pages were missing so I recycled it. (I’ve wised up and no longer buy consumable books used.) I should just pick up the SOTW activity guide, but….now there are so many shiny new options for ancients. I downloaded the samples for History Quest and I think I love it. I also like the look of the lapbook materials offered by Curiosity Chronicles. And the Torchlight selections for ancients seem like great read-alouds… Pandia usually does a black Friday/cyber Monday deal, right? Has anyone used History Quest? It’s brand new, so there aren’t a lot of reviews yet.

As an aside, I’m going through SWB’s History of the Ancient World to prepare myself, and as soon as I got to the chapter about Shamsi-Adad I heard Jim Weiss’s voice in my head–“Shamsi-Adad, the ruler of the whole world.” lol

Aethel
    Participant

I happen to know that WTM Press is revising the activity books, so you might want to wait for the new ones.

I’m not a super fan of Pandia’s ancients, although I like their timelines.

Evan-Moor’s Daily Geography, Pipo videos, and iCivics are also useful resources.

Michelle Routhier
    Participant

We used Pandia Press last year for Middle Ages and this year for Modern History and my boys loved them both. It uses SOTW and Usborne Encyclopedia of World History as a spine. I love the map work that comes along with it.

mellifera
    Participant

Thank you! Aethel, what didn’t you like about Pandia’s ancients? It’s hard to find people who have used the new program, so I’m curious. They’ve gone from using SOTW as a spine to their History Quest book, and I’m curious to see what people think. I like the first few chapters, but I also like SOTW and we could use that again. All I know is that we’re not making another chicken mummy. 🙂

Aethel
    Participant

I haven’t looked at it in years, and what I looked at was the middle school version. I was deeply uncomfortable with their choice of spine, and I felt like it wasn’t rigorous enough in terms of literature–and that the literature choices were questionable. I was comfortable with SOTW, and used the Activity Book instead, for Gr. 1-4.

A.J. Campbell
    Keymaster

Didn’t they used to use Van Loon exclusively for the middle school spine? They’ve switched over to the Kingfisher Encyclopedia, with Van Loon as an optional add-on due to “the polarizing nature” (*cough*) of the The Story of Mankind.

https://www.pandiapress.com/product/history-odyssey-ancients-level-two/

Aethel
    Participant

Yup. I believe I was the one who pointed that out to them. But, the last I checked, they hadn’t actually changed the assignments, so ….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.